Akuko Writers Competition 2020
SUBMISSIONS AND PUBLISHING TIMELINE
August 15 - November 30, 2020 : Submission Window (Closed)
March 2021: Winners and runner-ups are notified and announced
March - May 2021: Content development and editing period
June 2021: Publication Design and Layout
July 2021: First issue of Akuko releases
For its inaugural year, Akuko Magazine will accept works in the following categories:
PRIZES & COMPENSATION
We will choose a total of 21 writers to publish in our inaugural issue. Three writers in each category will be chosen to receive our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes. Twelve additional writers will also be chosen for publication. Because we believe in the importance of artists being paid for their work, selected writers will receive the following compensation:
- First place in each category will receive $250
- Second place in each category will receive $100
- Third place in each category will receive $50
- Additional writers chosen will receive $25
All writers chosen for the prizes and publication will have the added benefit of working with editors to help further shape and improve their work.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Writers who self-identify as African or African descent. **We are also open to considering writers who have immigrated to Africa, have called the continent home, and have a long-standing association with Africa.**
- Real, authentic, and well-written pieces about Africa or Africans. We define Africa and African not by the physical continent but by its descendants spread all over the African Diaspora.
- Submitted works such as historical fiction, literary fiction, non-fiction essays, and poetry that tackle the idea of what it means to be African, either in present or past times.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- Editorial Support: If your piece is chosen for publication, you will work with our passionate and talented editors to help further shape and polish your work. To accept a prize or offer of publication, you are agreeing to collaborate with our editors on your manuscript.
- Copyright & Publishing Rights: While the copyright always belongs to the author, if you are chosen for publication, Akuko Magazine has exclusive print and electronic publishing rights for one year. To accept the prize, you will be asked to sign a contract agreeing to these terms. The rights revert back to the author one year after publication date.
Please use the submission form below to submit your manuscript for consideration. Please remember that your attached literary submission should not have any identifying information in it. The submission form is the ONLY PLACE where personal information should be filled in.
If you have any further question or need further clarification, please visit our FAQ page
Before submitting your work to us, please make sure you carefully read over our GUIDELINES AND EXPECTATIONS.
We are now closed for submission for the 2020 competition.